Laws & Regulations
Effective January 6th, 2014, ALL persons operating an ATV in the City of Whitehorse are required to take an approved ATV Safety Course to obtain the Safe ATV Card.
Requirements for operating an ATV within the City of Whitehorse city limits are:
- Motor Vehicle Registration
- Public liability insurance
- Driver's Licence
ATV Safety Gear Requirements
In Whitehorse, all ATV riders MUST wear an approved helmet at ALL times when operating their ATV, regardless of age or experience level. A helmet is also mandatory for any passengers on the ATV.
It is highly recommended that all riders also wear globes, long sleeved shirt, long pants and over-the-ankle boots that are designed to offer added protection for ATV riders.
Ride Safe and Legal!
Before heading out on Whitehorse's ATV trails, please remember the following tips to ensure a safe and enjoyable ride:
- Always wear appropriate safety gear when riding.
- Ensure your ATV is properly registered for the City of Whitehorse.
- Always stay on designated trails. Stay off paved roads.
- Obtain the landowner's permission before going onto private land.
- Know before you go - contact the landowner or land management agency to find out about open ATV trails or routes.
- Never, ever ride an ATV while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
The laws and regulations on this page are meant as a quick reference for ATV riders. It is your responsibility to know ALL ATV laws before heading out on the trails. For a complete list of ATV laws and regulations in Whitehorse, please consult the Whitehorse ATV Bylaw.